The Emergency First Aid at Work course is made up of practical and theoretical sessions which include a range of topics including:
- Understanding the role and responsibilities of an emergency first aider in the workplace
- Being able to safely assess an emergency situation
- Being able to provide first aid for someone unresponsive and breathing
- Being able to provide first aid for someone unresponsive and not breathing
- Being able to provide first aid for someone suffering a seizure
- Being able to provide first aid for someone who is choking
- Being able to provide first aid to someone with external bleeding
- Knowing how to provide first aid to someone who is suffering from shock
- Being able to provide first aid to someone with minor burns or scalds
The First Aid training course will include a variety of interactive sessions including discussions, group break-out activities and practical scenarios with a variety of first aid equipment. All of these elements will build the candidates' knowledge to help them pass the assessments and to build their confidence to provide first aid.
The practical scenarios will include recovery position, resuscitation, the use of Automated External Defibrillators and blood loss with shock. All candidates need to be physically able to take part in these scenarios with many of them taking place on the floor.
Candidates should wear clothing that they feel comfortable with to support their learning while taking part in group discussions and practical sessions with other candidates. Candidates should be aware they will be practising placing one another in the recovery position and practising resuscitation. We, therefore, recommend flat shoes, and trousers and to be cautious of baggy low tops.
The price includes:
- Electronic certificate from Dewi Development
- Emergency First Aid Made Easy books to accompany the face-to-face training
- Reminder card and pen
- First Aid consumables for each candidate
- Access to First Aid equipment to practise all scenarios in pairs
- 1 day of face-to-face training with great trainers with first aid experience
- Travel in the Swansea area
If there are additional costs, we will agree on these at the time of booking, for example, excess travel, off-site parking, and venue hire.
There is no post-course learning for the Emergency First Aid at Work training course.
You can arrange a program of support from Dewi Development Ltd for your staff, this can include ongoing coaching, annual Continual Professional Development or access to a debrief session.
The Continual Professional Development is recommended to be a half day and we can focus the topics around the needs of your staff and your business.
Your staff may wish to access a debrief session following a serious incident in which they utilised their skills and need to discuss the actions they took.
The candidates are observed throughout the day to ensure the candidates have reached the required standard of understanding and practical skill.
The candidates will need to demonstrate effective first aid skills to achieve a certificate in:
- Recovery position
- Effective CPR
- Safe use of an AED
- Management of bloodloss and shock
Successful candidates will be issued with a combined Emergency First Aid at Work certificate by Dewi Development Ltd.
The qualification lasts for three years and is renewed by resiting the course.
We can deliver the training course at your venue which has a suitable training room or we can support you in arranging a suitable external venue. Training at your venue can save you costs but be aware staff can be distracted by day-to-day concerns.
Locations will require:
- Room big enough to sit 12 candidates to sit in a horseshoe
- Tables for group work and assessment at the end of the session
- Floor space to practise their first aid skills
- Projector and screen with computer connection, however, we can provide a projector with a laptop
While we will deliver our courses across the country, we focus on supporting local businesses in south Wales from Cardigan to Haverfordwest, Carmarthen, Swansea, Cardiff and Newport.
The course will have three planned breaks per day, including lunch. Refreshments are NOT included when delivered at one of your venues, but tea and coffee will be included when delivered at a venue arranged by ourselves.
The Emergency First Aid at Work training course involves various practical sessions, where candidates will need to get down to the floor to practise their first aid skills. This will include practising recovery position and demonstrating effective resuscitation for a minimum amount of time. If you have any concerns about your candidates carrying out these activities, you should get in touch before booking the course.
If candidates have any physical or learning needs for the group work or for the assessment, this should be notified as part of the booking. We may be able to provide reasonable adjustments to support candidates learning, but we need to discuss these with you and the candidate in advance of the course.
While a student can qualify at 14, they may not assume responsibility in the workplace until they are 16 and then it is the employer's responsibility to ensure the individual is suitable for the role.
This course can be completed over a number of sessions, as long as it is completed within 4 weeks of starting.
If you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to contact us.