This 2-day First Aid at Work course is designed for those who currently hold a First Aid at Work qualification and their qualification is due to expire.
If you need to train your Health and Safety team on how to undertake a First Aid Risk Assessment for your business, please see our Level 2 First Aid Risk Assessment - Principle and Practice course.
The course is made up of practical and theoretical sessions which include a range of topics are covered including:
- Legalities, responsibilities and reporting
- Heart attacks
- Dealing with an unresponsive casualty
- Eye injuries
- Fractures and spinal injuries
- Control of bleeding
- Chest injuries
- Assessment of the situation
- Shock (including Anaphylaxis)
- Head injuries
- Sprains and strains
The course is facilitated through group and class discussion to involve all candidates and to ensure all candidates are grasping the board topics ready for the assessment.
There will be practical sessions to practise recovery position, resuscitation and the use of the Automated External Defibrillator.
Candidates can wear clothing that they feel comfortable to support their learning, while taking part in group discussions and practical sessions with other candidates. Candidates should be awear they will be practising placing one another in recovery position and practising resuscitation. We therefore recommend flat shoes, trousers and to be cautious of baggy low tops.
The course includes a First Aid Work handbook produced by Instructuk Resources Ltd to support the course.
The course includes a range of assessment methods including interactive group discussion and pratical sessions which are monitored by the tutor. At the end of each day there is a written question paper.
In order to attend this training, you need to have previously undertaken First Aid at Work qualification.
Please consider the following rules for attendance:
- A First Aider can renew their First Aid at Work qualification by attending a 2-day requalification course without question, if it’s within 1 month past the expiry date
- If the First Aider has lapsed by more than 1 month, but no longer than 3 months, then the First Aider can requalify by attending a 2-day course providing ‘Special considerations’ have been applied
Special considerations are:
- A signed letter from the employer to the provider of the training stating the reasons why in their opinion, the First Aider is suitably experienced to attend a 2-day course and does not require a full 3-day FAW course
- A decision is made by the provider of the training after discussions with the employer, or the First Aider, and deciding that their previous experience is sufficient to attend a 2-day course
- If the First Aider has lapsed beyond 3 months then they must attend a full 3-day First Aid at Work course
There is no pre-learning for this course.
There is no post-course learning for this course.
You can arrange a program of support from Dewi Development Ltd for your staff. This can include on-going coaching or access to a debrief session should one of your employees need to use their skills.
Sucessful candidates will be issued with an Ofqual regulated Level 3 First Aid at Work Requalification by the awarding body First Aid Awards.
The qualification lasts for three years and can be renewed by resitting the qualification.
It is recommended to complete Continual Professional Development on a yearly basis to maintain practical skills and keep information at the forefront.
The course involves various pratical sessions, where candidates will need to get down to the floor to practise their first aid skills. This will include practising recovery position and demonstrating effective resuscitation for a minimum amount of time. If you have any concerns about carrying out these activities, you should get in touch before booking the course.
If candidates have any physical or learning needs for the group work or for the assessment, this should be notified as part of the booking.
We can deliver the training at your venue which has a suitable training room or we can support you in arranging a suitable external venue. Training at your venue can save you costs but at the same time risk your staff being distracted by day to day concerns that arrise, which may not be suitable as they approach the assessement.
Locations will require:
- Room big enough to sit 16 candidates to sit in horse shoe
- Tables for group work and assessment at end of the session
- Floor space to practise their first aid skills
- Projector and screen with computer connection, however we can provide a projector with laptop
Supporting local companies in South Wales - Cheptsow, Newport, Cardiff, Bridgend, Port Talbot, Neath, Swansea, Carmarthen, Haverfordwest, Tenby, Brecon, Landovery, Llandeilo, Cardigan
Group courses provided to companies across Wales and England.
The course will have three planned breaks per day, including lunch. No refreshments are included when delivered at one of your venues, but tea and coffee will be included when delivered at a venue arranged by ourselves.
It is important to remember that as soon as the certificate expires, the First Aider is no longer considered competent to act as a First Aider in the workplace which may well leave the employer with a shortfall of First Aiders. Therefore, it would be prudent to arrange their First Aid at Work Requalification before they expire.
While a student can qualify at 14, they may not assume responsibility in the workplace until they are 16 and then it is the employers responsibility to ensure the individual is sutiable for the role.
This course can be completed over a number of sessions, as long as sessions are completed within 10 weeks of starting.
If you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to contact us.
Group price for 6 is £700.00* with extra candidates £24 per person to the maximum number.
The group price is based on training at your venue for the maximum number of candidates. If you do not have a suitable training venue, we can work with you to arrange a venue near you at additional cost.
* If you are further than 50 miles from Swansea, there will be additional travel costs. Contact us to discuss the options.
- Candidate registration fees
- Course handbook
- All training equipment for practical sessions
- Great instructors